Tuesday, 23 September 2014

12 Tags of 2014 - September

Hi all,

This months tag is to do the faded background technique in a different way, see Tim Holtz blog for the method.  I think this is easier and gives a better effect with paler colours.

I used the Harlequin stencil and aqua alcohol ink then overstamped the images. The raindrops are from a Sheena Douglas stamp set and I used the second generation image as I didn't want them to be too dark.  The large raindrops were punched from a piece of card coloured with red pepper, purple twilight and sunset orange alcohol ink with a little gold mixative.

I mounted the glossy card onto a tag and carried on stamping the raindrop stamp onto edge then went round with walnut stain distress ink.  The large raindrops were attached with foam pads for a bit of dimension and the tag was finished off with some string that I frayed after knotting it.


Monday, 22 September 2014

CC3C - Challenge 11

Hi all,

This week is an odd week as my daughter Caitlin went to university on Saturday and the house has felt very quiet ever since.  This is odd because when she was here she was usually plugged into her computer with her head phones on playing league of legends.....go figure!

Anyway when it came to planing this challenge I found myself a little sad and I always think these masks look sad so here we go.

I covered the mask in white gesso then when dry covered it using the Tim Holtz Postale tissue wrap.  I then used walnut stain distress ink to grunge it up a bit.  As I haven't any of the new distress ink sprays I made my own using some walnut stain reinker and a mini mister.  I made the spray ink very weak as I wanted it to run and sploge but not obscure the text.

I stamped the IndigoBlu image, Blazing Poppies onto tissue and coloured with alcohol ink pens and then attached one to the bottom right of the mask and one to the top left.  I then made some roses using Tims tattered florals die and edged them with walnut stain.  The roses were added over the stamped flowers and I also added some tiny pieces of dried Babys Breath that I had in my stash.

The technique for this challenge was then used on the butterflies and the skeleton leaves which were then added to the floral sprays.

As I said I find these masks sad so of course I had to add the tear drops which were clear so I coloured them with a black alcohol pen.

Thanks to Inspiration Emporium for sponsoring this challenge and of course to the crafty crew for all the inspiration, click on the link to see their wonderful creations.

I know that Caitlin is going to have a wonderful time at university but it will take time to get used to her not being here, so onto the next crafty challenge!


Thursday, 11 September 2014

CC3C - Challenge 10

Hi all,

Well into double figures, what fun!  This challenge is the Assemblage Clock.  This was nearly the challenge too far as I didn't have a clock and when I ordered one they said the delivery date may be the end of September, however I managed to find one else where so I will have another one to do later....YAY!

Any excuse to buy more stash, I've even had to go to a certain Swedish store for more storage solutions.  You can only put up with so many avalanches when you open a cupboard door!!!!

Hey Ho to work, Having just had my daughter Caitlins' 18th birthday I had lots of Alice in Wonderland stash spread over the workspace, (well I say space, think 12inches by 12 inches) so I thought rabbit holes, as you do, and this is what I came up with.

I prepared the clock using IndgoBlu English Cottage acrylic paint using brown for the outside of the clock case and bright red for the bells on the top.  I then painted white spots onto the bells and...instant toadstools (for the caterpillar of course).

I didn't paint the handle as I  covered it with ribbons and the small playing cards, the Queen of Hearts of course.  The grass is some green card stock that I over inked with evergreen boughs distress ink and stuck to the front of the clock.

The decoupage sheets were from House of Zandra, the inside panel is Alice with the bottle saying Drink Me and the White Rabbit is on the outside.

To finish the project I added some roses made using the  Tim Holtz  tattered flower garland die and printed a banner, edged it with a little evergreen bough distress ink and attached it at a jaunty angle.

So far about half of the projects that I have made for the various challenges my daughter has said she is taking to University to decorate her room with, this will be one of them!

Many thanks to The Funkie Junkie for sponsoring this challenge and of course to the excellent Curiosity Crew for all their crafty inspirations.  This has been a great challenge!