Tuesday, 28 July 2015

CC3C - Challenge 33

Hi all,

Well here we are just arrived back from a fabulous 2 week holiday on a Mediterranean Cruise.  Two weeks of sun, seas and new places, and a few cocktails!  The last few days I was thinking of what to do for this challenge and I think this one came after a few of my favourite Pear-Melon Martinis.

I made the Top Hat from some of the Fleather that I used in challenge 24, this time using an A4 embossing folder from X-cut called delicate flourishes.

I then prepared my altered surfaces as per page 45 of the Compendium of Curiosities:

Yes you may have noticed that I overheated the word on the right but I quite like it, its a little quirky, like me!

I then added some ribbon round the hat and added a nice red feather.  The rose and wording were added on top.

As its now Tuesday evening I have kept this post short and to the point, unlike usual.

Pop over to Linda Ledbetters' blog to see the stunning work of the Curiosity Crew, they really rocked this challenge.  Also many thanks to Inspiration Emporium for sponsoring the challenge.


Monday, 6 July 2015

CC3C - Challenge 32

Hi all

Frosted film this time.  I have a small (?) stack of 'things' to alter including some mirrors from a certain Swedish superstore so this is what I chose for my project.

 To start the frame I sanded the whole thing and then wiped the dust off.  I then covered the frame with various tissue tapes and masked off the mirror.

I then gave the whole frame a coating of Fresco Finish chalk paint by PaperArtsy in buff, stone and haystack.  Once this was dry I liked the colour but it was too pale.  I forgot to photograph this, sorry.  I decided that distress ink was the way to go so went in with fossilised amber, twisted citron and shabby shutters.  A quick blast with a heat gun to dry this and then a small amount of walnut stain distress ink found the edges and round the mirror, again dried with a heat gun.

Then using the technique on page 59 of The Compendium of Curiosities I cut the elements for my lilies using the Tonic die Oriental Lily.  This die cuts the individual petals and leaves so I could shape them and then construct my flowers.  The butterfly is Tim's Layered butterfly die and embossing folder.

I coloured the petals with Sepia Ranger Archival ink and Sunshine yellow Ranger Adirondack pigment ink, the leaves with Archival ink in olive and aquamarine and the butterfly using archival ink in aquamarine and blue violet.  The markings of the butterfly were coloured with pro markers.


I stamped some scrolls onto the frame using second generation black archival ink with a Creative Expressions stamp set called Scrolls and added die cut scrolls in gold mirri card over the top.  These were cut with the Tonic Royal Fern set of dies.  Some of the die cuts had lovely spirals as part of the 'waste' so I used two of these for the antenna of the butterfly and the rest under the butterfly.

I then added some random stamping over the whole frame using a variety of my Tim Holtz stamp sets.  I used second or even third generation stamping for this as I didn't want it to be too dark.  I then placed the flowers and butterfly ion the frame and felt I needed a edge to them so I also gilded the edge of the frame to hide any parts I may have missed with the tissue tape, wonderful stuff gilding wax!


There are some wonderful, and patriotic, examples on Linda Lebetters' blog so pop on over for some great inspiration.  Many thanks to The Funkie Junkie Boutique for sponsoring this challenge.