Thursday, 19 June 2014

12 tags of 2-14 - June

Hi all,

This months tag for the 12 tags of 2014 is using the blended watercolour effect with stencils.  A lovely soft look great with shabby distress.

I decided to go with a time theme as I seem to be very short of it at the moment.  My daughter is finishing her A level exams, she was in a drama school production of Little Shop of Horrors (which finished on was phenomenal!!!) and is now looking forward to going to university so time is slipping away far too fast, anyway I digress, as usual!

I used the clockwork stencil and inked it with peacock feathers, dusty concord and worn lipstick distress inks and printed the image onto some watercolour paper.  I trimmed the paper to get the nicest bit of the print and tore the top and bottom edges for a more shabby look.  I the used walnut stain distress ink round the tag to highlight the torn edges and added a little scattered straw and tumbled glass distress ink in the middle.

The clock die cut is from Tattered Lace and is actually a grandfather clock but I only wanted the top of it so I cut off the case and then added the hands to the clock face.  A little Pebeo Empire Gold gilding wax was rubbed over the surface to bring out the embossing.  I stamped the 'T' from the Stampers Anonymous stamp set Classics 15 with black archival ink and added a few of the mini gears from ideology.

The ribbon is American seam binding died with dusty concord, peacock feathers and worn lipstick distress inks and I added a pocket watch I found in my stash.  To complete I inked round the tag with walnut stain distress ink and attached the watercolour paper topper to it.

Hope you like it, thanks for stopping by.


Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Compendium of Curiosities - challenge 4

Hi all,

As this challenge is all about layering stencils and texture paste, page 49 of the compendium. I began by looking at the stencils I have and couldn't decide which to use (its like trying to choose between your children!), so I decided to pick a stamp and work backwards!

I decided on this beautiful butterfly from the Sheena Douglass set Butterfly Effect.  Now, all butterflies need something to land on so I found the woodgrain stencil and using the technique on page 49 prepared a tag.

Once the tag was dry I coloured it with aged mahogany and tea dye distress inks and splattered with water for a little extra interest.  Then edged the tag with walnut stain distress ink.  The sentiment is from the same stamp set as the butterfly and was stamped in black archival ink.

The butterfly comes as two parts, the 'background' butterfly and the detailing for the wings.  The background butterfly was stamped onto card stock and the detail butterfly onto acetate.  I coloured the background butterfly with the wonderful Silks acrylic glazes from Pebeo but left the acetate clear.  After shaping both parts of the butterfly I stuck them together.

The body was made by winding four pieces of wire round a pencil leaving a long piece at each end.  At the top of the body I twisted all four wires together to seal the body and then separated them to make the antenna with two wires per side.  After filling the body with beads I twisted the wires together to hold in the beads and then fanned the wires out to make the tail and curled the ends just for fun!  The body was then glued to the wings and the whole butterfly was attached  to the tag.

I added some metal leaves and a metal flower to balance the tag and there you go!

Thanks to The Funky Junkie Boutique for sponsoring this challenge, I hope you like my effort.


Saturday, 7 June 2014

Girl Talk

Hi all,

Well what a week,we were at Slaley Hall, in Northumberland, last weekend till Tuesday for my Mums 85th birthday.  We stayed in one of the lovely lodges and had a big family Lunch on the Sunday.  This was held in the hotel and we had a fab time, the food was lovely and the company very convivial.  Mum had a lovely time and it was great to have most of the family together for once!

When we got back on Tuesday I caught up with all the blogs I follow and decided I still had time to have a go at this weeks Sunday Stamper.

Now, my daughter is not a girlie girl, she does not like pink and is not over fond of all things feminine.  However she does like steampunk soooo this is what I came up with.  Its not traditionally girlie but she liked it so there you go!

I stamped the background with the sentiments from the Doo Lally Pip stamp set Time Travel by Lindsay Mason with ice Silks Acrylic paint. Then I blended distress ink over the top, the silks act as a resist so there is a shadow of the sentiments in the background.  The distress inks were dusty concord,  tumbled glass, shabby shutters, picked raspberry and a little scattered straw in the middle.  Spattering with water gives a nice splotchy texture and then I edged the background with walnut stain to draw the eye into the middle.

The branches were stamped using black archival ink and are from the Sheena Douglass set A New Leaf.  This is a really useful set cos its branches, leaves and flowers in various sizes so you can make your own foliage.

The geeky girl is also from the Doo Lally Pip set and was stamped, coloured and cut out and set on the branch.  The flowers are from the Creative Expressions set Steampunk Flowers.  I stamped them then painted them using the Silks acrylic paints to give a lovely metallic sheen.  The centres of the flowers are Tim Holtz idea-ology mini gears.  The leaves are cut from silver mirri card using Sue Wilsons Faux quilled leaves die from Creative Expressions.  Two metal flowers from Crafttime were also added.  The whole piece was mounted onto a black matt that I clear embossed the edges of.

So not your typical girlie piece but one tailored to my little girlie (she is 17 but hey...), hope you like it.