Sunday, 31 May 2015

CC3C - Challenge 29

Hi All

So this is the challenge I've been dreading, when I did the Creative Chemistry 102 I just couldn't get this technique to work.  Having experimented with it I can get it to work maybe one time in four so there are lots of interesting background sheets waiting to be used.  Still you can never have too many backgrounds prepared!

So after getting to grips with the technique, page 44 of the Compendium of Curiosities, I set about altering the door hanger that is my chosen project for this challenge.

I used mermaid lagoon and cracked pistachio distress paint for the base colour and tarnished brass on the top and added a little walnut stain distress ink around the edges.  After painting the wooden door hanger with black gesso I stuck the altered card to the hanger and, when dry, trimmed round the edges.

I have a box of die cuts that I've cut to try new dies that I buy and found the musical score and as this is for Caitlin it was perfect.  The only problem is that it was cut from silver mirri card sooooo....  I dabbed black gesso and tarnished brass distress paint randomly onto the surface but it was still too shinny.  To try to get over the brightness I decided to try a 'dirty' wash and mixed a brown wash that I had in a little jar with a little black gesso and covered the music with it.  This not only dulled it down it also gave it a strange matt finish which I likes.  I glued it to the door hanger and trimmed the edges.

The cogs beneath the music were also dabbed with black gesso and tarnished brass distress paint and also a little graphite texture paste for that pitted look.

I used my new Tim Holtz die, Block Talk lowercase, to cut the name from black card stock and added it to the hanger.

To finish the edges, which were a little uneven where I had cut out the shape from the card stock I used Graphite texture paste.  This gives a lovely glittery edge and some fantastic texture too.  I then decided to add some rusty wire, love this stuff!, so I wound some round the door handle hole and added a little more texture paste.

There are some fantastic examples from the Curiosity Crew over on Linda Ledbetter's blog , click here to go visit.  Also thanks to Inspiration Emporium for sponsoring the challenge.



  1. Hi Lyn - you really nailed the eroded metallic technique with this door hanger! Very clever idea and well done! Thanks for joining us for this challenge!

  2. hi hun... I had to come and tell you.. THANK YOU for making me laugh my a**e off this morning... your predictive texting comment on my blog has made me cry laughing.... I LOVED IT... best comment.... EVER! Hope all is goodly with you and your OH is better now too x

  3. Lyn, thanks for sticking with it and persevering. Your door hanger turned out great! It's one of those tricky techniques, but the results are definitely worth every effort. Nice job!

  4. How clever to make a door hanger your project for this round! I really like how your colors combine and all the techniques you've used. Great job on the eroded metallic technique. I've got lots of backgrounds prepped and ready, too. That's a good thing!

  5. What a cool door hanger for Caitlin! Love your eroded metallic background. Your addition of the musical die cuts and gears gives this a bit of a steampunk feeling but very "lyrical". Thanks so much for sharing with all of us at CC3C. I love totally altered pieces! <3 Candy

  6. I think you did an awesome job! LOVE the look and that you did a door hanger!!! Thanks so much for joining us at CC3Challenge!!!