Monday, 6 July 2015

CC3C - Challenge 32

Hi all

Frosted film this time.  I have a small (?) stack of 'things' to alter including some mirrors from a certain Swedish superstore so this is what I chose for my project.

 To start the frame I sanded the whole thing and then wiped the dust off.  I then covered the frame with various tissue tapes and masked off the mirror.

I then gave the whole frame a coating of Fresco Finish chalk paint by PaperArtsy in buff, stone and haystack.  Once this was dry I liked the colour but it was too pale.  I forgot to photograph this, sorry.  I decided that distress ink was the way to go so went in with fossilised amber, twisted citron and shabby shutters.  A quick blast with a heat gun to dry this and then a small amount of walnut stain distress ink found the edges and round the mirror, again dried with a heat gun.

Then using the technique on page 59 of The Compendium of Curiosities I cut the elements for my lilies using the Tonic die Oriental Lily.  This die cuts the individual petals and leaves so I could shape them and then construct my flowers.  The butterfly is Tim's Layered butterfly die and embossing folder.

I coloured the petals with Sepia Ranger Archival ink and Sunshine yellow Ranger Adirondack pigment ink, the leaves with Archival ink in olive and aquamarine and the butterfly using archival ink in aquamarine and blue violet.  The markings of the butterfly were coloured with pro markers.


I stamped some scrolls onto the frame using second generation black archival ink with a Creative Expressions stamp set called Scrolls and added die cut scrolls in gold mirri card over the top.  These were cut with the Tonic Royal Fern set of dies.  Some of the die cuts had lovely spirals as part of the 'waste' so I used two of these for the antenna of the butterfly and the rest under the butterfly.

I then added some random stamping over the whole frame using a variety of my Tim Holtz stamp sets.  I used second or even third generation stamping for this as I didn't want it to be too dark.  I then placed the flowers and butterfly ion the frame and felt I needed a edge to them so I also gilded the edge of the frame to hide any parts I may have missed with the tissue tape, wonderful stuff gilding wax!


There are some wonderful, and patriotic, examples on Linda Lebetters' blog so pop on over for some great inspiration.  Many thanks to The Funkie Junkie Boutique for sponsoring this challenge.



  1. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!! I LOVE what you have done here to create such a beautiful project! The colors are luscious. The frosted film pieces are exquisite. I love the sweet flowers and butterflies. They look so fragile...almost like a fine porcelain. Thanks for sharing your lovely art with us at CC3C. ❤️ Candy

  2. Lyn, this is just lovely! I am crazy about the tissue tape layer. Its a fabulous foundation for your butterfly and flowers, which are exquisite. Thank you for sharing this at CC3C!

  3. Fabulous! Love that taped background and the way your frosted film accents POP. Thanks for joining us at CC3C, Lyn!

  4. Gorgeous!!! LOVE the frosted lily! Cool to wrap the whole frame in tape...I just did that myself on a project! Wonderful alteration! Thanks for joining us at CC3C!!!

  5. Wow, this is SO pretty Lyn! I love the tissue tape background. That's a great use for it. I have so much of it and hardly remember to use it. Your butterfly and flowers turned out so lovely. What a special gift this would make.

  6. Love all the layers and details you've used to alter your mirror frame. It is a beautiful backdrop for your lovely frosted film elements. Wonderful use of tissue tape, chalk paint, stamping and die cutting. Your mirror is going to look so beautiful on your wall.

  7. Wow Lyn, Oh my love of butterflies just got very happy! This is gorgeous! Love...All your elements came together perfectly! Beautiful piece!