As this challenge is all about layering stencils and texture paste, page 49 of the compendium. I began by looking at the stencils I have and couldn't decide which to use (its like trying to choose between your children!), so I decided to pick a stamp and work backwards!
I decided on this beautiful butterfly from the Sheena Douglass set Butterfly Effect. Now, all butterflies need something to land on so I found the woodgrain stencil and using the technique on page 49 prepared a tag.
Once the tag was dry I coloured it with aged mahogany and tea dye distress inks and splattered with water for a little extra interest. Then edged the tag with walnut stain distress ink. The sentiment is from the same stamp set as the butterfly and was stamped in black archival ink.
The butterfly comes as two parts, the 'background' butterfly and the detailing for the wings. The background butterfly was stamped onto card stock and the detail butterfly onto acetate. I coloured the background butterfly with the wonderful Silks acrylic glazes from Pebeo but left the acetate clear. After shaping both parts of the butterfly I stuck them together.
The body was made by winding four pieces of wire round a pencil leaving a long piece at each end. At the top of the body I twisted all four wires together to seal the body and then separated them to make the antenna with two wires per side. After filling the body with beads I twisted the wires together to hold in the beads and then fanned the wires out to make the tail and curled the ends just for fun! The body was then glued to the wings and the whole butterfly was attached to the tag.
I added some metal leaves and a metal flower to balance the tag and there you go!
Thanks to The Funky Junkie Boutique for sponsoring this challenge, I hope you like my effort.